Learn more about Marianna Annio and Pietraventosa winery!
Pietraventosa winery that is situated in Gioia del Colle, in the Murgia area in Puglia, is owned by Marianna and her husband.
They bought the winery and the land in 2000 and started their wine production. Since then they have built up a small and well-known winery where they produce mainly Primitivo wines. The 4.4 hectares of vineyard plots where they grow Primitivo and Aglianico are located at 380 meters altitude.
Gioia del Colle is a small town located on the top of a hill about 400 m.a.s.l., not far from Bari in Puglia. Gioia del Colle is considered the home to the Primitivo grape in Puglia, this grape variety with Croatian origin, that then spread to Manduria and other parts of Puglia.
Above in the title, I refer to the Primitivo of Gioia del Colle as the “Other“. This is because even if the Primitivo historically was ‘born’ in Gioia del Colle, the Primitivo of Manduria then became the norm.
Marianna talks about the Primitivo di Gioia del Colle and Primitivo di Manduria as twins that were separated at birth. One twin developed in the specific terroir of Gioia del Colle and the other in the Manduria area.
The name Pietraventosa means more or less ‘windy rock’ and Marianna chose this name because the estate is located on the top of a hill where the winds blow in from both the Adriatic and the Ionian seas. These winds sweep away many of the diseases, such as mildew, that can attack the vines.
The large diurnal range is something else that benefits the viticulture and the grapes mature quite slowly. Therefore, the Primitivo of Gioia del Colle generally has a lower sugar concentration, better acidity, and minerality.
Marianna and her husband do not come from a family with a long viticultural tradition, rather they decided that they wanted to buy land and start producing wine to leave a legacy to their son.
They bought Pietraventosa winery in 2000 and then started to replant a big part of their vineyard plots, apart from some plots with bush-trained Primitivo vines that are 40 years old. Pietraventosa is organically certified and they are very intent on combining tradition and innovation.
A question from Massimo during the live stream:
Are you joining the philosophy of the new winemakers of Puglia, wanting wines with less strength and more simplicity and freshness, meaning wines with a better drinkability?
Marianna replied that, yes, she likes wines that are easy to drink. However, NOT easy in the sense of low quality but easy in the sense of freshness, high acidity, complex bouquet. For her drinkable means this.
Pietraventosa winery produces the following wines: Est Rosa IGT Murgia rosé, Volere Volare IGT Puglia Primitivo, Allegoria DOC Gioia del Colle Primitivo, Ossimoro IGT Murgia, and Riserva Pietraventosa DOC Gioia del Colle Primitivo.
Here in this episode, we talk about:
- The location of Pietraventosa winery and its terroir (1:20 min onwards)
- The different characteristics of Primitivo of Gioia del Colle and of Manduria (3:50 min onwards)
- The viticulture and winemaking at Pietraventosa winery (7:00 min onwards)
- Talking about the Est Rosa IGT Murgia rosé wine, a blend of Primitivo and Aglianico (circa 21:00 min)
- Talking about their wine Volere Volare IGT Puglia Primitivo – Rosso (circa 34:10 min)
- Talking about their wine Allegoria DOC Gioia del Colle Primitivo – Rosso (circa 42:40 min)
- Talking about their wine Ossimoro IGT Murgia – Rosso (44:10 min)
- Talking about their wine Riserva Pietraventosa DOC Gioia del Colle Primitivo – Rosso (46.30 min)
- Food and wine pairings (51.00 min)
- …and much more
Leave a comment below!
Do you want to be a guest at WinesOfItaly?
Click to sign up for my newsletter.
CONTENT MANAGEMENT: Do you want your wine content online to rock? I am working with wineries and other clients to find their voice online and tell their wine stories with the audience in focus. It is important to know who your audience is and to talk to them in a way they like. Avoid being boring without losing in depth and complexity.
Read more about the Winestudio/WinesOfItaly co-lab in the article #WinesOfItaly & #Winestudio Join Forces – Montefioralle First Out As Guest
Thank you for watching the WinesOfItaly live stream!
- Digital Vino with Kate Bradley Chernis from Lately - July 11, 2020
- Supertuscan Is All About The Name, Not In The Wine - June 27, 2020
- A Fascinating Tour of Austrian Wine With United We Taste - June 14, 2020